Mayfair in London is one of the most exclusive areas in UK’s capital. It is very popular for wealthy residents. The dramatic surge in property prices forced out a lot of English residents. Nowadays, mainly super rich foreigners are leaving in this posh area. It is not unusual to have apartment prices of several million GBP on the market and townhouses touching nearly £100 million mark.
It is no surprise that mainly millionaires and billionaires are living in this area.
The Mayfair area used to be open fields until development started in Shepherd Market in 1686 when the May Fair moved from St. James’s Haymarket. However, the first recorded building is a cottage in Stanhope Row dating back to 1618. It was destroyed in the 2nd world war in late 1940.
Mayfair Hedge Funds
Mayfair is the address of the finest world class restaurants. No wonder that many hedge funds are based in Mayfair. The hedge fund managers have been attracted to London’s Westend rather than to The City or Canary Wharf.
Mayfair is famous not only for its restaurants but also for its posh shops. The main shopping streets are:
- Old Bond Street
- New Bond Street
- Burlington Arcade
- Mount Street
- Saville Row
- Regents Street
- Oxford Street
There are many nightclubs and exclusive members clubs based in Mayfair.
- Mahiki – 1 Dover Street, London W1S 4LD
- Drama – 34 Hertford Street, London W1J 7SE
- Funky Buddha – 15 Berkeley Street London W1J
- Sketch – 9 Conduit Street, London W1S 2XG
- The Cuckoo Club – Swallow Street, London W1B 4EZ
- The Met Bar – Metropolitan Hotel, 19 Old Park Lane, London W1K 1LB
- Trader Vic’s – Hilton Park Lane, 22 Park Lane, London W1K
- Zeta – 34 Hertford Street, London W1JK 1BE
- Mayfair Club – 49 – 50 Dover Street, London W1S 4NY
Private Members Clubs:
- Annabel’s – 44 Berkeley Square, London W1J 5QB
- George’s – 87-88 Mount Street, London W1K 2SR
- Harry’s Bar – 26 South Audley Street, London W1K 2PD
- Maddox – 3-5 Mill Street, London W1S 2AU
- 5 Hertford Street / Loulou’s – 2-5 Hertford Street, London W1K 7RB
- Arts Club – 40 Dover Street, London W1S 4NP
- 2 & 8 Club – Morton’s, 28 Berkeley Square, London W1J 6EN
- The Lansdowne Club – 9 Fitzmaurice Place, London W1J 5JD
- Baroque – Playboy Club, 14 Old Park Lane, London W1K 1ND